- Standards and Performance Indicators for Teachers (NETS-T #3)
- Model Digital-Age Work and Learning
Teachers exhibit knowledge, skills, and work processes representative of an innovative professional in a global and digital society. Teachers:
a. demonstrate fluency in technology systems and the transfer of current knowledge to new technologies and situations
b. collaborate with students, peers, parents, and community members using digital tools and resources to support student success and innovation
c. communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital-age media and formats
d. model and facilitate effective use of current and emerging digital tools to locate, analyze, evaluate, and use information resources to support research and learning
- Technology is very important in our society today. Therefore, teachers should be well educated and up to date on current technology. This will allow the teacher to incorporate it into his/her classroom with the students. Using a variety of technology and various forms of resources will also allow the teacher to work together and communicate effectively with students, parents, coworkers, and the community. In doing so, students will be supported and set up for success. Teachers also need to demonstrate and assist students in supporting research and learning with the use of technology and resources.
- I believe I have many strengths in this standard. I collaborate well with my students, peers, parents, and community members on supporting his/her success. I think that I communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to all, and I am a model and facilitator.
- However, my weakness would be in doing all of these things using technology. I do incorporate it into my classroom, but not to the extent that I should be. I must say in my defense though, that I teach at a private school that does not have money to invest in any technology. Therefore, my digital resources and learning tools are extremely limited! This has definitely hindered me and has not helped me grow as a teacher!
- Standards and Performance Indicators for Teachers (NETS-T #1)
- Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity
– Teachers use their knowledge of subject matter, teaching and learning, and technology to facilitate experiences that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments. Teachers:
a. promote, support, and model creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness
b. engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using
digital tools and resources
c. promote student reflection using collaborative tools to reveal and clarify students’
conceptual understanding and thinking, planning, and creative processes
d. model collaborative knowledge construction by engaging in learning with students,
colleagues, and others in face-to-face and virtual environments
- Teachers should be knowledgeable on various forms of technology. This will allow the students to grow in their learning experiences, be creative, and encourage both social interaction and a technology based environment. Teachers should have students use a variety of resources to develop, broaden, and advance his/her critical thinking skills. Student assessment can be taken using an assortment of methods. Teachers are not to just teach, but to share and learn in the knowledge process as well with the students, colleagues, and others in direct and virtual environments.
- I think a strength of mine is the direct/social part of the environment. I teach in an early childhood classroom, so the students and I are all very close and comfortable with each other. The children and I are consistently interacting with each other individually and as a group. Another strength of mine is promoting, supporting, and modeling creative and innovative thinking and inventiveness. I allow my students to be creative, original, and imaginative throughout the day with their core subjects, arts/crafts, and play time.
- My weakness in this area is creating experiences that are technology based. I am not comfortable, creative, or knowledgeable at constructing a virtual environment for my students. I know that children are being more engaging and interactive with technology at a younger age now a days; therefore, I need to be more knowledgeable and up to date on what is current. I should not be scared of technology and just go for it!
- Standards and Performance Indicators for Teachers (NETS-T #2)
- Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments
– Teachers design, develop, and evaluate authentic learning experiences and assessments incorporating contemporary tools and resources to maximize content learning in context and to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes identified in the NETS•S. Teachers:
a. design or adapt relevant learning experiences that incorporate digital tools and
resources to promote student learning and creativity
- b. develop technology-enriched learning environments that enable all students to
pursue their individual curiosities and become active participants in setting their own educational goals, managing their own learning, and assessing their own progress
- c. customize and personalize learning activities to address students’ diverse learning
styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources
- d. provide students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments
aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching
- Teachers need to consistently encourage, foster, and stimulate student learning and creativity. This can be accomplished by using various forms of resources and creating learning experiences. Teachers should also construct a learning environment which consists of technology that will allow students to be creative, imaginative, and ambitious about learning. The environment should also promote the student to set his/her own goals and self-evaluate his/her own learning. Since not all children learn in the same manner, the teacher should use a variety of teaching styles to ensure that all students’ needs are being met. Formal and informal assessments should be used as well in numerous forms to notify and praise the student of his/her accomplishments and knowledge of the content being taught.
- My strength is that I implement the variety of teaching styles to ensure that all my student’s needs are being met. I make sure that I have something for each of my kinesthetic, auditory, and visual learners when discussing a concept. I also encourage, foster, and stimulate student learning and creativity. I believe it is important for students to express themselves, be original, and artistic. I try to implement this in my teaching and centers as much as possible.
- My weakness is developing a technology-enriched learning environment. I do use technology every now and then, but I know that I don’t use it enough, and I don’t use it to the extent that my students’ minds are being expanded. It is a valuable resource that is at my fingertips to be utilized practically anytime of the day. I really need to work on this one some more.